8-BIT XL Issues with certain games

Hello, Does anyone else have issues with the XL playing certain games like Ardynia, or even the hardware checker?

Hey DarkestSpire,

I hope you are well! Firstly, welcome to the community!

Regarding your issue, could you share a video or maybe some photos of what the exact issue is? This will help in understanding more about what the exact problem is and how to solve it!

I look forward to hearing from you, If you do have any questions let me know!

Stay safe,

Jack

Absolutely,

Here is a link to my open drive
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1tE3RnYo30NPYSIPTmEdFvEhI0Tw1GU-r?usp=sharing

1 Like

Hey DarkestSpire,

I hope you are well,

I appreciate the demo video. This is quite a unique issue that we are looking into, could you send over some photos of your PCB board so we can check for any shorts/inconsistencies with the PCB?

I’m thinking that the reason the console crashes after you do the hardware test is due to a potential short on the LED. The Arkanoid game doesn’t use the LED therefore could explain why this game works and the hardware test doesn’t.

The RGB LED is quite a hard joint to solder so it is definitely worth taking a look at this joint - if you would like me to check over it, no worries - shoot me over a picture and ill take a look!

I appreciate your patience and support,

Stay safe,

Jack

I checked over the solder and reflowed it, then buzzed for any shorts. It also failed on game that do not have lights on them.

Ok, its the screen. I removed the screen and the hardware test was fine. It maybe the mosfet overcorrecting or something with the screen itself.

1 Like

Okay based on what you have said, we can get a new screen sent over to you if it is a faulty screen.

Could you send a video of it working without the screen? This is just so we can make sure it’s definitely the screen as the hardware test did work before on your video? It just crashed at the end which was the main issue. The best test would be to navigate to the hardware test (Left, down, down, then press A to start the test the LED will change colour and then you can start pressing buttons for feedback). And then after doing this for some time, to click reset, then A once more to reload the hardware test to make sure all work okay.

If it isn’t the screen, then the most frequent solution to the problems are:

• Cold solder joints
  • Scratches on the PCB board

It may have been that the screen wasn’t soldered incorrectly?

My apologies for the inconvenience caused, I appreciate your patience with this!

Look forward to hearing from you,

Jack @ 8BitCADE

I posted some images of the joints. They are making connections and then removed the screen and the re-soldered them.

1 Like

Hey DarkestSpire,

It seems the images didn’t link on the post, could you try either copying them in or linking them through google drive or dropbox?

Once we take a look, we will have a much better idea of the situation!

Thank you!

Jack

Its fine I ended up giving up on it. Solders are good, but it just seems to not respond.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1tE3RnYo30NPYSIPTmEdFvEhI0Tw1GU-r?usp=sharing

1 Like

I appreciate you linking the images. I have sent you an email in regards to the next steps we can take in solving this issue!